Savoury oatmeal is a new concept for me. I did see it floating around but never tried it before. I wish I’ve tried savoury oatmeal sooner, to be honest. It’s absolutely delicious. Seriously creamy oatmeal, and a lot of toppings to make every spoonful unique. Yum?
A bit of salt totally transforms the porridge. Porridge tastes very savoury and creamy. Soft boiled egg, plus avocado, plus crunchy and fresh radish, plus toasted seeds, plus cress and you have yourself a super flavourful breakfast bowl.
And it’s easy to put together. Boiling eggs in the morning
Boiling eggs in the morning can be a pain. I boil mine in the evening. Cooked eggs can be stored in the fridge for even up to a week.
And the seeds as well. If you don’t want to toast them in the morning toast them whenever you can and have them ready for this bowl, or for other dishes. Toasted seeds are a great snack on their own. Whenever I toast a batch they disappear in no time because they are so good 🙂
Fuel Your Body, Charge Your Day
- Cook the egg to your liking.
- Toast sunflower and pumpkin seeds in a non stick pan on medium heat until they are golden.
- Add oats, water, milk with a pinch of salt to a bowl and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. When porridge will start to 'boil' (it will rise in a bowl) that means it's ready.
- While the porridge is cooking, peel the egg and cut in half, cut the avocado in half, scoop the flesh out and cut into slices, wash and cut the radishes.
- Stir the porridge when it's ready. If it's too thick add a bit of milk and stir.
- Add the egg, avocado, radishes, toasted seeds and cress on top of the porridge. Season with a bit of salt and lots of pepper.
* Toast a bigger batch of seeds in advance so you can have them ready to use in this recipe, to sprinkle on toast, to use in salads or to eat as a snack.