Blackberry porridge with cocoa and date paste is a morning treat. Creamy porridge with added ground flaxseeds. Sweet blackberries and blueberries plus a banana to add sweetness and well, fruitiness. Plus some brazil nuts. And cocoa and date paste.
Oh my, if other ingredients did not scream treat yet, this paste definitely will.
Cocoa and date paste is intensely chocolatey and toffee sweet. It’s a fantastic little thing to have when you feel like adding something special to your porridge.
Don’t go overboard with the paste, though Although it’s made of dates as the sugar components it’s still sugar. Little can go a long way and in this case it’s really true.
The paste is so intense a teaspoon will do the trick and will send you to chocolate heaven.
Flaxseeds will make the porridge thicker, just add more milk or water if you feel the porridge is too thick. Flaxseeds add extra nutrients like good fat and fiber and they regulate blood sugar levels. No sugar spike after eating this lovely porridge 🙂
Fuel Your Body, Charge Your Day
- 3 tablespoons of oats (rolled oats, Scottish porridge oats) - use gluten free oats if you are gluten free
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed (or ground golden linseed)
- 200 ml of milk (cows, oat, I used almond)
- 100 ml of filtered water
- ½ banana
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa and date paste - recipe below
- few brazil nuts
- blackberries and blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- COCOA AND DATE PASTE
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 50 ml of water
- 4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- more water for blending
- Add oats and ground flaxseed with 150 ml of milk and 100 ml of water to a bowl.
- Microwave for 2.5 - 3 minutes. Porridge will thicken and rise - that means it's done.
- Mash the banana and roughly chop the brazil nuts.
- When the porridge is done add the remaining 50 ml of milk to the porridge and stir. If porridge is too thick add more water or milk and stir again.
- Add mashed banana, chopped brazil nuts, blackberries, and blueberries to your porridge along with a teaspoon of cocoa and date paste.
- COCOA AND DATE PASTE - add dates with 50 ml of water to a plastic container. Close it and microwave for 1-2 minutes until water boils. Leave for few minutes until dates soften and cool down a bit. Add dates with any remaining water to a food processor, with cocoa powder, coconut oil, and cinnamon. Dates should be still warm enough to melt the coconut oil. Start blitzing. Add a splash or two of water during the process until the paste is smooth and have a spreadable consistency. Keep refrigerated in a container for up to 2 weeks.