This lovely quick breakfast recipe is my take on baked avocado egg. Great recipe but I was not mad about the whole oven baking so I had to rethink the recipe and make it more user-friendly.
You know I’m all about quick breakfast solutions. I want my food on the table in no time and I want it to be good. I’m after no fuss food that is simple to make. And because of that, I am quite cautious when it comes to time-consuming recipes. Or multiple step recipes. Or when I have to fire up the oven to make a recipe.
I like my oven and consider it to be my best friend. It roasts my chicken, it bakes my banana bread and lots of other delicious food. What I do mind is when I’m asked to oven bake something for breakfast or midweek meal. Sunday roast is fantastic assuming you have time to make it. Cake as well, you can usually just bake it in the evening or on the weekend. But when you are pressed for time and hungry at the same time oven is not your best friend. And those times for me are almost every meal, and breakfast especially.
I was hovering around baked avocado with egg recipe for a while now. I love the concept of baked avocado with egg. Each avocado half as a single serving shell of baked goodness. That’s definitely good food.
But baking it. Well, I was not on board with that. This qualifies as time-consuming for me and it’s a reason to scratch the recipe completely. Since baked avocado egg concept was very appealing to me I had to rethink the concept and make it doable on a busy morning.
That’s where avocado egg breakfast skillet comes in. Lovely, warm, creamy avocado, between cooked egg, with cherry tomatoes added to the mix, made in a skillet, on the hob. There you go – baked avocado egg made without the oven. This recipe really takes only a few minutes to make and taste delicious.
I have to mention that avocado egg breakfast skillet received a seal of approval from my husband – Bart and that is a big deal. Bart is not an avocado enthusiast. I love avocado, he eyes it with total dislike. I can’t stuff my face fast enough, he looks suspiciously at some of my recipes and asks if there is avocado in it (yes, I try to sneak avocado in where I can). So the fact that he likes avocado egg breakfast skillet is really huge. Maybe I got Bart converted? Here’s hoping 🙂
Fuel Your Body, Charge Your Day
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 avocado
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- cress, toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds to serve (optional)
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-low heat.
- Wash and cut cherry tomatoes in half. Cut avocado in half, take the stone out, scoop the flesh out and roughly chop.
- Add olive oil to the pan and swirl around. Add cherry tomatoes and avocado. Season slightly with salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes until avocado and tomatoes have softened.
- Crack the eggs into the pan without breaking the yolk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and cook until the whites are set and yolk is still runny.
- Serve with cress and toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds.