Almond breakfast cookies are simply amazing. They are easy to make, portable and so tasty.
Cookies are not too sweet, and are only sweetened with a handful of dates, full of nuts and seeds, and a great quick breakfast when you are pressed for time.
Almond breakfast cookies are great as a snack as well and to be honest, they are good any time of a day when you feel hungry.
You can use almond flour which will make lighter looking cookies as almonds for almond flour have the skin removed. I usually use whole almonds which I blend until flour like consistency. Using whole almonds with the skin on will make darker cookies like on the pictures. Both options are fine, though. Use whichever option is easiest for you.
Fuel Your Body, Charge Your Day
- 100g pitted dates
- 50ml of water
- 1 cup of almonds or 1¼ cup of almond flour
- ½ cup of oat flour
- ½ cup of oats (rolled oats, Scottish porridge oats)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut flour
- ⅓ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- juice of half a lemon - 1 tablespoon
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon of almond extract
- sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds to sprinkle on top of cookies
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC/347ºF fan. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Microwave dates and water in a plastic, closed container for approx 2 minutes so the dates will soak the water and soften. Let them cook a bit.
- Add almonds to the food processor with the blade attachment and blend until they become flour-like consistency. If using almond flour skip this step and just add it to the blender.
- Add softened dates, oat flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, lemon juice, eggs, and almond extract to the almond flour. Pulse few times to combine the ingredients and then blend until smooth.
- Add ½ cup of oats and stir them in.
- Wet your hands and divide the mixture into 10-12 portions. The dough will be sticky. Roll each portion into a ball, flatten into a disk and place on parchment paper.
- Sprinkle each cookie with sunflower and pumpkin seeds and press them slightly into the cookies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden.