You know how when you sprinkle a bit of good salt on chocolate it tastes just heavenly.
It brings out the flavour of chocolate and the chocolate tastes even more chocolatey.
And you know how adding peanut butter to the mix (think Reese’s peanut butter cups) makes the most amazing combo?
Sweet, salty, nutty AND chocolatey?
Well, I just made almond truffles covered in a chocolate layer of goodness. And those truffles are just that – sweet, salty, nutty and chocolatey.
Who said you can’t have this amazing flavour experience when eating clean?
Because you definitely can.
It’s all about choosing good quality, not processed ingredients:
Almond butter – without added sugar or oil
Ground almonds – just ground almonds without any preservatives
Honey – raw honey is the best because it’s not heated and processed
Sea salt – table salt is not an option here, go for the good stuff
Chocolate – the less ingredients and more cocoa solids the better. I went for 85% dark chocolate and it tastes heavenly
When you have good clean eating ingredients like that you don’t need to overcomplicate the recipe. Which means you don’t have to spend hours to make these truffles.
The recipe is quite simple really. Melt the chocolate, mix the truffle ingredients, roll the truffles and cover them in chocolate and that’s it.
It’s quite fun working with melted chocolate, especially when you can eat what’s left. What can I say, I like chocolate 🙂
- 50g of good quality dark chocolate min 70% (I used 85%)
- 3 tablespoons (105g) of almond butter
- 3 tablespoons (30g) of ground almonds
- 4 teaspoons (25g) of raw honey
- a good pinch of sea salt
- Almond flakes, coconut flakes for decorating (optional)
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- In a bowl mix well almond butter, ground almonds, honey and salt.
- Divide the mixture into 12 portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Dip each ball in the chocolate until evenly coated and place on baking paper.
- Decorate each truffle with almond and coconut flakes (optional).
- Place truffles in the fridge for an hour to set the chocolate.